Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Jiu Jitsu Training Log - March 3rd-9th

Monday: Advanced Class
Steven is on the west coast and Todd didn't make it in, so Sammy and Geico ran the class.  I enjoyed the class and the techniques they showed.  We did the fireman carry takedown.  I'm really clumsy and awkward at this takedown.  Oh well.

On the ground, we worked some half guard sweeps.  The basic one where you get a deep underhook and come out to the side and either tap the posted knee and drive to finish the sweep, or throw their arm over your head and take their back.  Geico showed half guard starting with a knee shield and using the knee as the space to get your underhook, that was a nice detail.  The next half guard sweep was getting to the same point as before, but if you can't reach their knee to tap it, then roll under them and push/hold on their knee and roll them over you to finish the sweep.

Did some live rolling afterwards, we did some 5 minute rounds and I kept getting in bad positions and then saved by the timer going off!  But, I didn't get submitted.

Tuesday: Randori

Friday: No gi
Anthony taught the class.  It was cool to see him again.  He showed us a cool foot lock, trapping the foot against our abdomen and getting a kind a rear-naked grip on the calf.  And then he showed us an attack from turtle, a way to grip to move and force your partner onto their back and then finishing with a kind of reverse arm triangle choke.  Did some live rolling to try to get myself ready for the tournament tomorrow.

Saturday: Copa America Tournament
I competed in the Copa America tournament in Lakeland.  I might write up a report about it, but I did horrible.  Went 0-3 in my matches, losing 1 in the gi and 2 in no gi.  The tournament itself was slightly chaotic but I liked the fact for one entry fee I could compete in a lot of different divisions.  But, I didn't stick around for the Masters division.  Disappointed in my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment