Monday, February 10, 2014

Jiu Jitsu Training Log - February 3rd-9th

Monday: Advanced Class
We did the same Kouchi Gari variation from last Wednesday, wrapping the leg with our arm and leg.  We also did a drill where we jumped guard while our partner was standing, and then we had to crawl around them.  We were supposed to do 10, but I only made it to my partners back before falling off... and I did that twice.  It was hard!

From the ground, we worked an arm bar as our opponent starts to stand in our guard.  We walked our legs up to our opponent's shoulders and then hook their opposite leg, pulling our head close to that leg.  Then swinging our leg over his head and finishing the submission.  We then progressed to spinning under our opponent if they are starting to smash us to defend, and finishing the arm bar belly down.

Tuesday: Fundamental Class and Randori
In fundamentals, we did the bear hug self defense where you drop your base and raise your arms and then step behind your opponent and grab behind their legs to take them down.  Then we worked on several variations of the pendulum sweep from guard.  The first one we worked required getting to a 90 degree angle and then swinging your leg back through.  I had some trouble moving my hips and legs into the right place to start the sweep.  Then, we worked a variation where we controlled an arm and broke our opponents posture.  After breaking down their posture, we did the same leg movement as before, but without moving to 90 degrees.  This was an easier sweep to finish, but it's probably harder to get your opponents posture broken down in live rolling.

In randori, we did passing/sweeping drills from open or closed guard and then the same thing from butterfly guard.  All things I pretty much suck at, so its great to get some time drilling these things!

Wednesday: Advanced Class
Pretty much a repeat of Monday's class.  It was helpful to get more reps.  One thing Steven addressed, when my opponent stands and I start walking my legs up, I've got to keep my hips off the ground and make sure there's no space between my opponent's arm and my pelvis.  Otherwise, this move won't work.  I was having some trouble with that at first, but I think I started to get better near the end.



Saturday: All levels
Worked on counters to the double under pass, this was a great class because there are a couple training partners that use this pass a lot.  Now, I have at least something to try.  The first move was to sit up as they moved their arms under my legs and reach under their armpit and kick my leg out at the same time.  This sets up a triangle, but we also worked on finishing with a reverse kimura.

The next sequence of moves involved making your hips and legs heavy and pinning their hands to my hips.  All the while, moving away from them so that I have enough space to put my feet on their hips.  Then there's a should lock by getting one hook in and putting it on their opposite hip and straightening my leg while sitting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment